Thursday, December 5, 2013

Do you agree with Michal Powell that no one has a "right" to the Internet?

I disagree: I don't need permission to go online, nor do I need permission to express my freedom of speech.  I have the right to argue with someone in chat, the right to use language, the right to express my personal thoughts if I so choose, the right to reveal information on the internet (No matter how dumb it may be), the right to post, share, upload, or use information on the Internet; the list goes on and on.  So where do I not have a right to the Internet?  How do I not have a right to something that is open to everyone, open to the public.  What's the point of publicity if I don't have the right to use it?  I don't need permission by anyone to use the Internet, and I'm not going told by some pompous yoink tell me what rights I can or cannot have.  I have the right to call him that, too.  The amendment rights show us what we can do, whereas laws tell us what we can't do; we have the same laws and rights for the Internet as well, however broken or underused it may be.  We have rights, but we also have laws: Fix them, present them, and enforce them.  But don't ever... EVER... tell me that using the Internet is not a right. ~Collin

1 comment:

  1. Don't ask me what a pompous yoink is: I don't know.

    ReplyDelete