Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Under what Circumstances is censorship permissible? Whom do you trust to make the right decision about what you should and should not read? If you were a librarian, under what circumstances would you pull a book?

Censorship should NOT be allowed. Everyone has the right to display their views. This is part of the first amendment.
If I were to trust anyone to tell me what I should and should not read, I would trust a literature teacher or my parents because both know a lot about peoples views in books. They also encourage me to read books in order to learn other people's or world views.
If I were a librarian, I would never pull any books because all authors have the right to display their views in books, without having them be hidden from the rest of the world.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that everyone has the right to display their views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about a book with bad pictures or words, would you want your kid, or any other kid reading and seeing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all depends on the content of the book. Though I'm not sure who I would trust to make the right decision considering today's society.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that some censorship is justified, but
    I strongly believe that a book should at least be shared. Now, if your getting a numerous amount of complaints about the said book with content such as nudity or Satanism, it may be the best if you take it off the shelf. However, if there is a book on homosexuality, it is my duty as a librarian to allow the public this information despite my personal belief on it. Censorship of books is acknowledging that ideas are dangerous.

    ReplyDelete